It’s got a cop motor, it’s got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks … and now it has a infrared night vision camera, automatic license plate reader, and dashboard touchscreen.
This souped-up Chevy Caprice is theLAPD’s future cruiser, enabling cops to track down suspects with the greatest of comfort. The vehicle is operated by a central computer system that runs everything from the light bar to the air conditioning, and the computer itself is stowed in the trunk, so cops don’t have to fumble with a laptop to run your DMV record. The seats are molded to fit a holstered gun and radio, so they don’t uncomfortably bulge on the driver’s lower back, and it has cutouts to accommodate a suspect’s cuffed hands. Check out Video below !!!
|New Algorithms Match Police Sketches to Real Mug Shots, Helping Nab Suspects|
|British Police to Monitor Civilians with UAVs by 2012|
|iPhone Armed With Facial Recognition App Lets Cops ID Perps on the Street|
The car can exchange data via thumb drives, WiFi and an experimental wireless-mesh network, which the video tour below curiously does not explain in detail. It can even pick up suspects’ footprints in the dark, for crying out loud.
Along with those tech goodies, it sports a behemoth 6.0 liter V8 engine, normally found in heavy-duty Chevrolet trucks, which provides 355 hp and 384 foot-pounds of torque. The Caprice can reach 60 mph in under 6 seconds. It even has an extra battery, just in case.
Even without all that, it is definitely cooler than a Crown Vic. Check it out.
- The LAPD’s Teched Out Cruiser [Lapd] (gizmodo.com)
- New LAPD Patrol Car To Sport Infrared Night Vision, License Plate Scanner (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- Video: Tour the LAPD’s new Chevrolet Caprice PPV with Translogic (autoblog.com)
- Chevrolet Caprice PPV. (chevyaccessorie.wordpress.com)
- LAPD officers exchange gunfire with suspected gang member (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Giovanni Ramirez’s Main Alibi Talks To The Media (huffingtonpost.com)
- LAPD Say They’re ‘Satisfied’ With Results of Ramirez Suspect Lineup (laist.com)
- LAPD Running a DUI Checkpoint in the Valley Tonight (laist.com)
- Top Stories: Thursday, June 2, 2011 [Total Recap] (gizmodo.com)
- LAPD cruiser crash sends 2 to hospital (abclocal.go.com)