Hmmm, but can she cook?
Just a few blocks away from CES, at the AVN Adult Entertainment Expo, innovation took a different form as the world’s first commercially available life-sized AI robotic girlfriend enjoyed her big coming out party.
Standing five feet seven inches and weighing 120 pounds, Roxxxy ain’t your grandma’s inflatable girlfriend. Five different personalities, ranging from Frigid Farrah to Wild Wendy (all the way up to S & M Susan, if you’re into that sort of thing), are programmed into Roxxxy’s AI. Based on the personality the user chooses for her, the ‘bot will responds to touch and speech in different ways.
Of course, since a real companion can’t be all brains and no brawn, a flesh-like synthetic skin covers Roxxxy’s anatomically correct, articulated skeleton, which also boasts robotic movement at her — ahem — three inputs. A liquid cooling system facilitates robotic function, powered by nothing less than a mechanical heart. The only outward manifestations of her robot-ness are a few cables running out of her back that link with a laptop.
Oddly enough, the inspiration for Roxxxy stems from the September 11 attacks, during which artificial intelligence engineer and Roxxxy inventor Douglas Hines lost a close friend. An attempt to preserve that friend’s personality forever laid the groundwork for what later became Roxxxy’s AI. Costs for the robots range from $7,000 to $9,000 depending on features, as everything from hair and skin color to bra cup size is customizable. As for the ladies out there wishing to create the perfect male, remember, patience is a virtue; a male version dubbed Rocky is already in the works.
- Roxxxy, The World’s First Sex Robot (popcrunch.com)
- History of Sex Robots (medicalinsurance.org)
- Love and Sex with Robots: The Next Step of the Relationship between Man and Machine? (singularityblog.singularitysymposium.com)
- We, Robots (nytimes.com)
- zeroinfluencer: We, Robots — “You are who you pretend to be.” (nytimes.com)
- Keen On… MIT Professor Says Robotic Moment Has Arrived, And We Are Toast (TCTV) (techcrunch.com)
- Must love puppies, walks on beach, robot babies (news.cnet.com)
- Surveillance robots know when to hide (terryolgin.wordpress.com)
- Whoa! Robots Are Getting Realistic…Maybe TOO Realistic (perezhilton.com)