Admit it. You were waiting for a jailbreak for your WP7 Phone for the sake of ‘freedom’ and whatever it is that gets you going through the day with a phone that can run apps with access to private APIs. Rafael Rivera, Long Zheng and Chris Walsh have come up with ChevronWP7 which lets you unleash the potential of your Windows Phone 7 phone.
ChevronWP7 unlocks your Windows Phone 7 to allow side loading of applications that wont be allowed in the Marketplace due to access to private APIs. This unlock works for every WP7 device out there and even reverts it back to the locked state making it safe for the end user.
According to the creators, expect issues with the app since it’s v1.0. Also, the download link seems to be missing so far [Microsoft interference, perhaps?], but as soon as it’s up, we’ll let you know.
Update: Download links up!
The tool is pretty straight forward to use. Just see that you follow the preparation check list and hit unlock. Of course you need to have Zune desktop software installed as well as a Windows Phone 7 device. Duh!
Some things to remember:
- If you’re encountering a connection error, trydownload/install the following registry key and restart your machine and try again
- Minimum supported OS: Windows XP SP2
Start Zune software and sync your device. Make sure your device has a “full sync” relationship, and NOT “guest” relationship with the Zune software as shown in the screenshot below.
- “Microsoft Is Bricking Windows Phone 7 Devices That Use ChevronWP7 Unlocking Software” and related posts (pulse2.com)
- ChevronWP7 Windows Phone 7 Unlocker Allows Sideloading Of Unofficial Apps (ubergizmo.com)
- Download ChevronWP7 to Unlock Windows Phone 7|Windows Phone 7 Jailbreak Tool (geniusgeeks.com)
- The first Windows Phone 7 ‘Jailbreak’/Unlock ChevronWP7 is Out – Download now! (Imran/iThinkDifferent) (techmeme.com)
- Microsoft Claims ChevronWP7 Jailbreak Could Brick Handsets (pocketnow.com)
- Microsoft: Using ChevronWP7 unlock could render Windows Phone 7 permanently unusable (Tom Warren/WinRumors) (techmeme.com)
- ChevronWP7 Windows Phone 7 unlocker allows unofficial app sideloading (slashgear.com)
- First Windows Phone 7 Jailbreak/Unlock tool – ChevronWP7 (zdnet.com)