Skype now does video-calling on iOS devices. The new update to Skype’s iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch app, version 3.0, allows users to make video calls between their iDevices, as well as with desktop computers — in other words, with any other Skype user. The calls can be placed over both Wi-Fi and 3G.
To make and receive video calls, you’ll need to have an iPhone 3GS or better, and you must be running iOS4. If you have both front- and back-facing cameras, you can use either. The 3GS can only, obviously, use the rear cam, since it doesn’t have a front-facing camera.
And if you have an iPad or a last-gen iPod Touch? You’re not left out, even though your device doesn’t have a camera. You can still receive video calls, but of course you can’t send any video.
Skype has a big advantage over FaceTime, Apple’s own video-calling app, as pretty much everyone already uses Skype. FaceTime requires a camera-equipped iPhone or iPod Touch, or a Mac running beta software. And it only works over Wi-Fi.
This is big news, especially for people wanting to replace computers with iPads. If a camera-equipped iPad goes on sale this year, as expected, then people like my parents could ditch their hard-to-administer PC for an iPad.
There is still one limitation to Skype’s iPad version of the software. This update, despite adding video, still requires you to pixel-double the app to get a full-screen view. Hopefully Skype’s next update will bring us video in the iPad’s full, native resolution.
Skype 3 for iPhone – With Video Calling [Skype Blog]
- Skype Finally Breaks Free on the iPhone
- Skype for iPhone Now Runs in Background, Replaces Phone App …
- Ears-On With Skype for iPhone
- Skype Comes to Android: Free Voice, Text Over 3G (But Not In US …
- Skype 3.0 iPhone App Review (brighthub.com)
- Skype Adds Video In New iOS App (pcworld.com)
- Bye Bye FaceTime: Skype Video Calling on my iPhone is Here (crenk.com)
- Skype Unveils IPhone Video Calling Over 3G and Wi-Fi (pcworld.com)
- Skype unveils iPhone video calling over 3G and Wi-Fi (macworld.com)
- Skype adds video calls to iPhone app (go.theregister.com)
- Skype’s mobile app now allows Canadians to make and receive video calls (techvibes.com)
- Skype for iOS updated, adds video calling [U] (electronista.com)
- Skype Video Calling for iOS Has Arrived (mashable.com)