Your Wait is (Finally) Over
gpadmin | January 20, 2012
Greetings, friends & jailbreakers!
We are well-aware of how very many of you, our faithful fans, have been waiting for months for this announcement, so – with no further ado, we are excited to unveil the newest addition to our GreenPois0n toolkit…
This release should come as no surprise to those of you who have been following pod2g’s iOS blog for the past few months. Earlier this week, you might have even wet your pants a little when you watched the video demonstration of today’s release (named Absinthe A5) and first witnessed our jailbreak working its magic to liberate both the iPhone 4S & iPad 2.
What you may not fully realize yet is just how hard the exploits in this Apple A5 jailbreak are working behind the scenes – and, though I mentioned it last week on my Twitter – what a glorious hacker’s wet dream the Absinthe A5 toolkit has ultimately evolved into!
Hacking the A5: Not Exactly a Walk in the Park
The ridiculously complex combination of exploits-within-exploits that make this iOS jailbreak possible have consumed thousands of hours of brain-power & effort from a legion of world-renowned hackers, several of whom have been working diligently on this project since the dual-core A5 processor was unveiled by Apple last March. Ten months ago, I myself was live tweeting from a tediously long line at the nearest Apple retail store, where I anxiously waited to become one of the world’s first owners (& hackers) of the newly-released iPad 2.
At that point, I don’t know if any iOS hacker anticipated how much the A5 chip would completely change the game & up the stakes. The endless war we fight to jailbreak has become more & more difficult with each new device released, and our recent battle against A5 only proved this further. After working for months with few tangible results, Chronic Dev hackers tried a new approach – we launched CDevReporter to accumulate all your devices’ crash reports, an invaluable source of information for iOS hacking & research. You answered our call-to-arms quickly & emphatically, sending us more than 10 million of these reports in less than a week. (Keep up the good work!)
Meanwhile, the iPhone 4S was released with resounding success – more than four million devices were sold in the first weekend alone. As a result, demand for an untethered A5 jailbreak grew exponentially overnight, and a mob-like mentality was adopted by many of the (usually courteous) Apple fan-kids. Suddenly, every iOS hacker found himself the target of constant clamoring – on Twitter, in our (& other) blog’s comments, in forums & tech news blurbs. Their message was loud & clear: “We want our new iPhones jailbroken, & we want it NOW!”
Introducing the 2012 iOS Hacking “Dream Team”
We finally admitted that the escalated obstacles presented by Apple’s new A5 processor would not likely be overcome by one individual or team – but all together, we should be more than able to conquer any challenges encountered. As such, a diverse group of iOS hackers all decided to set aside our personal goals & egos, relax our die-hard team loyalties, and pool our respective skill-sets, talents & exploits to form an iOS Super-Hacking “Dream Team.”
Numerous prominent iOS hackers contributed time & expertise to the project through their troubleshooting, brilliant obstacle-clearing ideas & other support. We’d like to extend special thanks to saurik & MuscleNerd, both core members of iPhone Dev Team.
Of the 4 hackers who deserve extra recognition & gratitude for completing the lion’s share of the research, development & programming of this jailbreak, 3 are members of Chronic Dev Team: myself (posixninja), pod2g & nikias. The fourth & most legendary member of our “Dream Team” is planetbeing, the globally-admired iOS hacker/developer responsible for initially porting both Linux & Android to the iPhone (among his many other contributions).
As to the amazingly innovative fusion of exploits used in this iOS jailbreak – we plan to save most of that discussion for a panel/presentation we hope to give at a conference later this year. If you want to learn more now, pod2g wrote an excellent blog post after the release of Corona, in which he describes in detail the userland & kernel exploits we used, both for the A4 iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak and as a starting point for this Absinthe A5 toolkit.
For Apple A5 devices on 5.0.1 » GreenPois0n Absinthe 0.4
- Windows – Download (MD5: f010639f81bd2f5e65eb3279df46e02f)
- Mac OS X – Download (MD5: d0fc25b19988b9a1c7770e56fa389662)
- Linux (x86/x86_64) Download (MD5: d4a233b1ce6a7c9eab748bba9597160b)
For Apple A4 devices on 5.0.1 » GreenPois0n Corona
- This package must be downloaded from Cydia
- Please reference this blog post for step-by-step instructions
For iOS firmware 4.2.1 » GreenPois0n RC6.1
- Windows – Download (MD5: 99e9082c3b482d02978afbabb20bd1e9)
- Mac OS X – Download (MD5: 57ec49739b2c3d2a991e83f1e2738115)
For iOS firmware 4.1 » GreenPois0n RC4
- Windows – Download (MD5: 4fdd558f94b5fdd06d50d6bad31c55ba)
- Mac OS X – Download (MD5: bdcc6aa6617a5a67309e2e0afe049447)
- Linux (RC3.3) – Download (MD5: 73c75297a4ba1dec69f15a38f462dbf5)
How To Use GreenPois0n: The Quick Guide
- Remember: greenpois0n is not an unlock, it is a jailbreak! (If you are unsure of the difference, stop reading now & become friends with a revolutionary new website called Google.)
- Download & extract greenpois0n from the .zip file, then launch greenpois0n.
- Attach your iPhone, iPad or iPod to your computer & click ‘Jailbreak’.
- Greenpois0n will automatically commence its DFU guide. If you know how to put your device into ‘DFU Mode,’ you can do this at your leisure; when done, greenpois0n will acknowledge a successful DFU operation.
- Press ‘Jailbreak’ again (if necessary) and let greenpois0n do its thing! You will see wonderful lines of text scroll on your device’s screen to assure you that something is happening.
- After a few magical seconds, greenpois0n will display a ‘Complete’ message. At this point, the greenpois0n injection is complete – just wait for your device to reboot automatically.
- Once your device has finished rebooting, double-check that you have an active internet connection, then locate & press the ‘Loader’ icon on your device. This action will download the Cydia app and install it for you.
- When Cydia has been installed successfully, your device needs to (& will automatically) reboot one final time.
- You’re done! Enjoy
- Absinthe jailbreak for iPhone 4S, iPad 2 saw 1M first day downloads (venturebeat.com)
- ‘Absinthe A5′ Brings First Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 (macrumors.com)
- iPhone 4S and iPad 2 unthethered jailbreaks are finally here (venturebeat.com)
- How to jailbreak the iPad 2 (geek.com)
- How To: Jailbreaking Your iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Using Absinthe (devchimp.com)
- Absinthe For Windows Released To Jailbreak iPhone 4S And iPad 2 (cultofmac.com)
- Untethered iOS 5 Jailbreak Demonstrated on Video (pocketnow.com)
- You: Jailbreak iOS 501 Untethered iPhone 4S Jailbreak (sportsviews.com)
- iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Finally Get Proper, Untethered Jailbreaks (techcrunch.com)
- iOS 5 untethered jailbreak shown on video, one step closer to release (venturebeat.com)
- Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Now Available for Windows [Jailbreak] (lifehacker.com)
- iPhone 4S And iPad 2 Jailbreak Downloaded Over 1 Million Times In 24 Hours (cultofmac.com)