Been waiting a while for this. Go to the Dev Team blog for important info on baseband upgrade warnings.
Click here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
The iPhone Dev-Team has released the updated version of carrier unlocking tool called Ultrasn0w which can unlock the latest iOS 4.2.1 and 4.1 firmware on iPhone 3GS and 3G on basebands later than 05.13.04. Since iPhone 4 has different baseband OS, It’ll take a little while longer for the Dev Team to unlock it on the latest firmware.
Follow the instructions posted below to unlock your iPhone 3GS or 3G on iOS 4.2.1.
How to: Update iPhone 3GS & 3G to 06.15.00 Baseband for Unlock:
Step 1: Ultrasn0w 1.2 unlocking requires that your phone is jailbroken on 4.1 or 4.2.1 firmware with 06.15.00 baseband. Follow the complete guide posted here (with PwnageTool) or here (for Redsn0w) to update your iPhone 3GS or 3G baseband to 06.15.00 and jailbreak it on iOS 4.1 / 4.2.1.
How to: Unlock iPhone 3GS & 3G on iOS 4.2.1 / 4.1:
Step 2: Once you are done with the jailbreak, you can now unlock your iPhone on any baseband using Ultrasn0w 1.2 from Cydia. To do this:
- Start “Cydia” on your iPhone.
- Touch on “Manage” tab on the bottom.
- Now touch on “Sources” as seen in the screenshot below:
- Touch on “Edit” and then on “Add”. You will be prompted to enter a url source as seen in the screenshot below. Type “http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com” and touch on“Add Source” to add this repo if you haven’t already.
Cydia will now automatically update your sources by following a series of automated steps.
- After installation is completed. Search for “ultrasn0w 1.2” in Cydia and install this application. This app will automatically unlock your iPhone so that you can use it with any carrier.
Step 3: Now simply restart your iPhone and voila! you should now have a fully unlocked iPhone 3GS or 3G, running iOS 4.2.1 !
Video instructions for the above tutorial is embedded below:
Disclaimer: This guide is for testing & educational purposes only. I’m not responsible for any loss of important data or malfunctioning of your iPhone.
- [How to] Unlock iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 3GS/3G with Ultrasn0w 1.2 (geniusgeeks.com)
- Redsn0w 0.9.6beta5 For iOS 4.2.1 Released To Unlock iPhone 3GS & iPhone 3G (iphonehacks.com)
- PwnageTool 4.1.3 Unlock Edition to Update iPhone 3G/3GS Baseband (crenk.com)
- “Ultrasn0w Unlock for iPhone 3G/3GS Released for iOS 4.2.1” and related posts (everythingicafe.com)
- iPhone 3G, 3GS get iOS 4.2.1 unlock, using risky ultrasn0w workaround (engadget.com)
- Upgrade iPhone 3G, 3GS Baseband 06.15.00 with PwnageTool Unlock Edition (ihackintosh.com)
- Ultrasn0w for iOS 4.2.1 Released, Works With iPhone3G, 3GS (macstories.net)
- Ultrasn0w For iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G Will Unlock All Basebands, Including iOS 4.2.1 Baseband 05.15.04 (iphonehacks.com)