JailbreakMe has to be hands down the easiest jailbreak method ever, but since it uses userland exploit like Spirit, it doesn’t hacktivate phones. iPhone dev and hacker named Sherif Hashim came up with a way to activate phones without having the original SIM cards but now it seems like Apple has found out about the phonebook SIM card trick and they have blocked it. And so if you activated your phone using phonebook SIM card, you will be getting the dreaded “Different SIM Detected” error on your lockscreen as shown in the screenshot below.
Follow the steps below to fix this problem.
Step 2: Activate your phone by using phonebook SIM card as shown in the video posted below.
Step 3: Follow the step by step guide posted here to jailbreak your iPhone 4, 3GS and 3G using JailbreakMe 2.0.
Step 5: Now replace the phonebook SIM card with your unofficial / unsupported carrier SIM. It is now that you will receive the “Different SIM Detected” error.
Step 6: Download i-FunBox for Windows from here.
Step 8: Now navigate to /private/var/root/Library/ and delete the original lockdown folder as shown in the screenshot below.
Step 9: Now simply download the patched version of lockdown folder from here, and place it in the same location you deleted the original from: i.e. /private/var/root/Library/
Step 10: Restart your iPhone.
Some other JailbreakMe related fixes that you maybe interested in..
- Fix Purple Screen Problem When Jailbreaking with JailbreakMe 2.0
- How to Fix Skype Issues on Jailbroken iOS 4 / 4.0.1 Device
- Fix PDF Exploit in Safari After Jailbreaking with JailbreakMe Using PDF Loading Warner
- How to Fix FaceTime and MMS Problem on iPhone 4 After Jailbreaking with JailbreakMe 2.0
There’s a new issue floating around and i want to bring it to your attention.
– iphone 3GS, iphone 3G with firmware 4.0/4.0.1
– Activated using a phonebook SIM or 16-in-1 SIM or 6-in-1 SIM or something similar. A lot of people are using these because they don’t have a legit carrier SIM
– After activation, the device is jailbroken with jailbreakme.com and unlocked with Ultrasn0w.
– Now come the interesting part:
** when the user switched out SIM and put in the carrier SIM, the iphone will immediately switched to the “slide for emergency” screen (like the phone not activated) and it will say “Invalid SIM” on the screen. However, the device is getting signal from the carrier (unlock is working).
** When the user remove the carrier SIM, the iphone will go back to the springboard.
** When the user put back carrier SIM, same problem again.
If you are having this issue, the work around is to get the lockdownd from a working hacktivated iphone 3G/3GS respectively. The lockdownd file is located in /usr/libexec. Copy the the file to the device you are having problem. You can copy file using utility such as ifunbox or something similar. The permission on the lockdownd file is 755. If you are copying the patched lockdownd over the existing one, the permissions should be in-tact.
If you do not have a working hactivated lockdownd file, you can patch the existing one by using bspatch. The patch file is located in the pwnagetool bundle for iphone 3G and 3GS. (** we will elaborate more on this later).
Note: Seems like device activated using a legit carrier SIM doesn’t have this problem
Some useful links:
Iphone 3G, firmware 4.0 lockdownd.patch file = http://www.mediafire.com/?odsdr24v8o22u7o
iPhone 3GS, firmware 4.0 / 4.0.1 lockdownd.patch file = http://www.mediafire.com/?wc3i91gjx2meal8
MD5 Hashes: (thanks to testers for providing hashes)
iPhone 3GS firmware 4.0.1
__________________** If you just want to support hackint0sh.org with a donation click here **
- Brains Behind JailbreakMe Heading To A New Job… At Apple (gizmodo.com.au)
- iPhones – iPads – iDevices Jailbreaking and unlocking saga (cmoslabs.com)
- Apple Hires JailbreakMe Creator Comex as an Intern [Apple] (gizmodo.com)
- Comex joins Apple – What’s the future of JailbreakMe? (domyinc.wordpress.com)
- News: Apple iPhone 4 Q-SIM Dual Card Adapter with Protective Back Case (Black and Golden) (murdr.blogspot.com)
- Apple Just Hired The Brilliant 19-Year-Old iPhone Hacker Behind JailbreakMe.com (businessinsider.com)
- News: JailbreakMe founder to intern at Apple (ilounge.com)
- Apple Has Hired JailbreakMe Superstar Comex (netwidz.com)